Thursday, February 14, 2013

Love.

BROTHERLY LOVE.


Growing up, Valentine's Day...well, really any holiday...was a big deal. I still remember coming downstairs to red and pink packages, a special breakfast...love was in the air, you could say. There was always a heart treat in my lunch and a napkin with a Valentine's message on it. I know that some people scoff at Valentine's Day, but for me, it has never been about the roses and candy. Even growing up, it wasn't about what was waiting downstairs, but about how my parents made us feel. Each and every day. It was about making others feel loved. And, for me, that is what Valentine's Day is now. It is about making others feel loved. 

I won't lie and say that this Valentine's Day doesn't feel different. I have a heavier heart. Today has been hard...hard to watch people going about the normal business of Valentine's Day because things just don't feel normal around here. But, I can honestly say that I don't think that I have ever felt so loved. The outpouring of support from those around us is truly overwhelming. I have said so many times in the last two weeks that I feel like we have an army fighting alongside us. Some of you know just what to say and when. Some of you know just when to show up and how. Some of you I've never met but I know you are sending up prayer after prayer for strength, comfort and healing. At our church, at our offices, childhood friends, new friends, family friends, doctors, nurses...the list could go on and on. For most of you, I will never be able to repay the kindness and generosity you have shown our family.

I will admit that I am much better at giving than receiving love. I like to be the one coordinating others' meals or praying for others' needs. I like to be the servant, not the recipient. But, I am working on that. I am working on saying thank you and trying to figure out a way to pay all of this love forward. So, thank you--all of you. Thank you for walking through this storm with us and making us feel oh-so loved along the way.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Love,
Molly   

No comments:

Post a Comment