Saturday, April 27, 2013

Random Acts of Kindness

As I have said before, Parrish and I have been overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and support that we have felt over the last few months. At times, such love and support can come at the least expected times, from the least expected person. 

On Wednesday, I stopped at our local Starbucks for a much needed misto on my way to work. (My co-workers will tell you that I am rarely seen sans Starbucks cup these days. It might be a problem.) I will admit, I love my Starbucks. Sure, it might be over-priced caffeine, but stopping at Starbucks is about way more than coffee for me. Case in point was Wednesday.

As I waited for my misto at the counter, one of the baristas (who always calls me by name) asked me how I was doing. He went on to ask how my family was doing. "And your husband," he asked "how is he?" I wasn't quite sure if he was just asking to make conversation, so I replied that he was fine, doing good. Something sort of flippant. The barista said, "I guess as good as can be expected considering what he is going through. Just know that all of us here are thinking about him and praying for him and your family."

Few things (besides my children) can literally take my breath away. But, there, in the middle of my Starbucks, I was speechless (and sort of worried that I was about to start sobbing). I have no idea how the barista (whose name I won't use because I don't have permission) even knows about what is going on with Parrish. Parrish isn't a coffee drinker and rarely goes to Starbucks. So, I don't think anyone there has seen him. And, I definitely haven't told anyone there what is going on. My only guess is that they have overheard someone ask me how things are going. And, maybe they followed up with that customer. I have no idea. How they know is relatively irrelevant. 

What is so powerful to me is that the folks who work at my Starbucks are praying for Parrish. People who don't know him. People who I interact with for seconds. They take the time to care about and pray for us. That barista had no idea just how much I needed his kindness that morning. It was a random, unexpected gift, and it has fueled me for the rest of the week. 

See, my Starbucks serves way more than just coffee. 



**I know most of you are waiting for more of a medical update...and I will post more later today. Life has gotten in the way of blogging!

No comments:

Post a Comment